Thursday 21 January 2010

Favourite song...

This is something that people, including myself, are doing over on Tumblr but I thought I'd post some of it here too because I think it's a cool idea...


‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’ by The Smiths.

Now for those of you who are close friends of mine, this will come as no real surprise. My love for The Smiths and all things Morrissey is unabashed and they are quite possibly my favourite band of all time (AFI run them close for this title.) They will always have a special place in my life and in my heart. Despite many people’s view that they are a maudlin, miserablist band I find quite the opposite in their songs. I find hope, happiness and joy. I love Morrisey’s voice as Johnny Marr’s intricate guitar work toys away almost playfully in the background. I love Morrissey’s lyrics, more so than almost any other poetry I’ve ever read. I love the fact that one band can evoke so many emotions in me simply from the music they play. I can be in any mood and I can find a Smiths song that suits it.

Everything I love about The Smiths is present in this song. The subtle guitar melody. The ambigious, yet personal and heartfelt lyrics. Morrissey’s trademark vocal delivery. And that keyboard melody makes the hairs on the back of neck stand on end every time I hear it. Every time.

This song makes me smile while at the same time leaving me fighting back tears. It reminds me of amazing times and terrible times. Current friends and ones past. It reminds me of feelings of overwhelming joy and overwhelming despair. But without fail it makes me happy. It makes me think that everything is going to be ok, no matter what happens, and for a song to do that is pretty special in my opinion.

xo

2 comments:

Cleatus said...

Wow I am completely in awe of your ability described the impact the Smiths has. I've always felt that way, I've just had trouble articulating it.

There Is A Light said...

Ahh thank you! It's nice to know people read this and like what I write.