Friday 22 January 2010

Favourite Television Programme...

The Wire.

This is another slightly tricky one, although not as tough as the previous two. I missed out of The Wire when it was originally shown on FX here in the UK a few years ago and only picked it up once BBC2 began braodcasting the seasons back-to-back (with a couple of weeks break in between each one) last year. I’d read and heard a hell of a lot of hype surrounding the show, so when Apryl and I finallt sat down to watch it I was a little skeptical and more than a little nervous that it wouldn’t live up to its tremendous billing. Withing about five minutes however, I was hooked.

It took a little while to get to grips with the dialogue and the myriad of characters, but once that was accomplished I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed a television programme as much. David Simon has created a masterpiece of a drama and the realism on show is astounding (Simon spent a year following the Baltimore Homicide Department in 1988 as reseacrh for his book ‘Homidicde: A Year on The Killing Streets’, a book whose influence can be seen throughout the show.)

While I prefer some seasons to others, in my opinion there isn’t one bad season and every episode is gripping throughout. One aspect I like about the show is that it’s a slow burner; the audience doesn’t get any sort of payoff at the end of each episode as is the case in other crime dramas. The action builds gradually over the course of a season and even at its finale, the ending isn’t always conclusive or definite. It grabs you and pulls you in, leaving you wanting more at the end of each hour. It is truly compelling viewing.

Other honourable mentions for this category need to go to House M.D., Peepshow and Monty Python’s Flying Circus. All classic television prgrammes in their own right.

xo

No comments: