Saturday 10 April 2010

Waiting On Forever...

Oh boy, did I forget this was still here. Apologies to the handful of people who liked to read my ramblings and diatribes, but I was cruelly seduced by Tumblr a few months ago and I haven't really looked back until now; much like when I tossed aside my trusty discman in favour of a shiny new ipod. This was mainly because, much like my discman, Blogspot is a clunky, awkward, pain in the arse to use; but still, here I am. For all it's foibles, Blogspot is a good place for just writing things though, mainly because no-one on Tumblr ever wants to read reams of text - no matter how interesting; they just want to look at pictures of girls in fashion shoots and "deep and meaningful" lyrics superimposed over the top of a pretty nature picture. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing overtly wrong with this particular penchant, it's just nice to have a bit of substance sometimes. Oh just me? Sorry, I'll post some Owl City lines over a photo of a sunset at the end I promise; if you could stay with me until then it'd be cool. Deal? Awesome.

So I guess the best thing to do is probably recap what I've been up to since I last checked in...

Well, I can't remember the end of January that well so let's just skip that bit. Sorry, I'm not doing very well so far am I? Anyway, at the beginning of February, I headed off on tour with Polar Bear Club, Shook Ones and Title Fight for three weeks in the UK and mainland Europe.

I love touring. It's pretty much want I want to do with my life for the foreseeable future, so to get opportunities like this one is awesome. As you probably know, I started selling merch for PBC last February on their tour with The Gaslight Anthem. It was only for a week, but the experience was one that I cherished and held dear. Making friends with the guys in Polar Bear Club has enabled me to tour with them another two times since then and every one has been brilliant. Getting to see new places, meet new people and hang out with a group of awesome people every day is such a good way to spend ones time that I never really want to contemplate the day when I have to get a full time job and cut back on my travels. Because of this nagging fear of growing up, I fully intend to make the most of any travel opportunity that presents itself over the course of the next few years and hopefully forge some sort of meagre living from it in the process.

Anyway, as expected this particular tour was ridiculously fun. Shooks Ones and Title Fight are both made up of such welcoming, friendly and funny guys and it was a pleasure to be on tour with both bands. I got to visit new countries that I've wanted to get to for a while and experience a host of cultures in the process. NB: One culture that I'll leave is the one that thinks it's ok to smoke inside venues in Germany. You can keep that one guys, or actually don't keep it; pull yourselves in to the 21st century so I don't have a laundry bag full of fowl smelling clothes and all the merch doesn't doesn't smell like your rancid smoke. Oh and a a few euros in my tip jar wouldn't go amiss sometimes either, just sayin'.

As always it was great seeing Polar Bear Club again too and I'm glad that I can honestly call those six guys my friends. Fingers crossed the next few months brings with it more tours with them.

Another major development since my last foray in to the world on blogging is the purchase of a van for Lonewolves/Jackals/myself. Essentially it's Lonewolves' van, but as of right now I'm the only one insured on it and it's my name on the logbook. Hopefully this purchase brings my desire of forging a living out of touring closer to being a reality while also meaning that Lonewolves can actually, y'know, do a proper tour. That'd be nice wouldn't it? We have enough fucking equipment, so it made sense to get a van so we don't have to carry around 'Tonehenge' in two cars and hopefully we can put it to good use. Purchasing a van is kind of scary though. The moment that I handed over the money and then sorted out the insurance, I felt like I grew up by about five years and a small part of my youth slipped away forever in to the ether. Then I remembered that the whole reason we were buying this vehicle is so we/I can drive all over the country and the continent, playing shows and generally avoiding real life/work and I felt a bit better. So yeah, if you're reading this and you either want to put Lonewolves or Jackals on a show, or you're in a band and need someone to drive you around in exchange for money, get in touch! Please.

Apart from these two fairly large events, the past few months haven't been overly exciting. I started back at work after getting home from tour, but to my surprise I am now working in a department that I actually enjoy, doing work that actually feels worthwhile and rewarding. It's a weird feeling, but it's cool. I'm sure it'll pass once the sun's out and I want to go away again though.

Speaking of going away, Apryl and I are planning another foray across the pond to America which should be awesome. I fell in love with that country when I visited for the first time, especially Portland, OR and New York City, so it's no real surprise that both these cities will be our destinations for this trip. Hello Voodoo Doughnuts, Soy & Sake, good public transport and nice weather; I've missed you all and many others like you and can't wait to sample your delights again. I have a vision of sitting in Central Park eating vegan ice-cream from Lula's, enjoying the sunshine with my soul mate and it's pretty much what's gotten me through the shitty winter that we're only now starting to come out of. I can't wait for it to become a reality.

Oh and one final bit of news, the Jackals 7" is available for pre-order now. Details are all on our Myspace page, as well as the upcoming shows we're playing. Cue jokes about hype trains and the like.

Yeah so that was my brief update. See you in another four months; same time, same place? In the mean time, if you want to read a blog that's actually funny, go here.

Now where's that Owl City lyric book...

No comments: